Sunday, October 25, 2015

In case you're thinking of getting knocked up

In case you're considering having children, and you've been told that little boys are dirty, messy, loud, crazy, and gross. Newsflash: Kids (tiny humans) are dirty, messy, loud, crazy and frequently gross. There's nothing specific to boys that fits those categories.
Boys are amazing! Boys are ridiculously sweet! They're thoughtful, considerate, tender, and charming. At 1, 3, 5, and 7, they still like to snuggle, and they still need to cry. 
They're good at being delicate and slow. They can funnel their creative passions and focus, sometimes for very long periods of time. Even now they're learning to nurture, and they're great with babies and smaller children. 
These traits are not specific to my boys. 
I'm tired of boys getting a bad reputation. You wouldn't believe the amount of sympathy that I receive when people see me out and about with five (gasp) boys. They're just about brought to their knees when I say "No, we're not trying for a girl. We like boys."
That's not to say anything less of girls. I am one. I was raised with and helped raise 3 girls. They're equally wonderful!
Let's cut the crap people! Children are what you make them and allow them to be and become (for better or worse). 
Boys are no exception. If you don't like your pudding. Change your recipe. 

A beautiful bouquet picked by a few of my little men. 

3 comments:

Keegan said...

Did this happen to you today? This totally amazes me every time and (as you know) I feel the same way. I especially hate it that people say it with pity while my boys are standing there. I always feel like: They can hear you, people! Also, these flowers are beautiful. They aren't Moza's are they? Because that would be hilarious. Sad but hilarious. :)

TheMelby7 said...

It was a few days ago. It virtually happens every time I shop.
Luckily they were not Moza's. Which reminds me I need to tell you the embarrassing thing Weston did to the crazy lady's car across the street. You know, the one who washes it for three hours in a bikini. :)

Becky Melby said...

SO beautifully articulated! Wish I'd had these words when complete strangers offered their condolences for having four sons!! The world needs to hear this!