Friday, November 27, 2015

A new Christmas Tradition

Every year Mark and I struggle (as I'm sure many parents do) with a good gifting method for our children. A sustainable tradition that
1)will not put us in the poor house
2)not put so much emphasis on gifts
3)will help them to focus on needs/wants as two separate categories 

I grew up in a family where there was an absolute MOUNTAIN of gifts every year. As far I as I know, my parents didn't set a specific gift limit or dollar amount per child. 
Mark grew up getting one or two gifts per child. 
We both have magical, fond memories of Christmas, but we really want to find something middle ground. 
After discussing this with my brilliant friend, Keegan, she told me about this wonderful tradition, that I had never heard of. 
Below is the actual list our kids filled out. They gave us several ideas for each category and then we pick 1 from each section, and one "bonus" gift (something that they didn't ask for) from us. 
I'll let you know how it goes. 
They quickly filled out the "wants" portion, but had more trouble coming up with actual needs. What a great way to demonstrate how many things we want that we don't need at all!

1 comment:

Keegan said...

Haha! I'm not that brilliant. I didn't come up with it and I don't use it with our kids, but I have heard of it. So I just passed along someone else's idea. I hope it works for you. By the way, I prevailed in the discussion about the Christmas gift this year, so I'm looking forward to play time at our house after Christmas with you guys! :)