Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Jig Is Up!

WARNING: Do not read this with your kids.

Before Christmas Mark and I briefly discussed the issue of "Santa".
We'd agree'd before Oliver was born that we wouldn't engage in said traditions. I'm still not totally sure how it officially started, but we dove in. Lies, lies, lies. Now don't get me wrong; I grew up believing in the red suit. I don't remember harboring any resentment towards my parents once I realized the truth, and I'm certainly not judging any other caretakers for continuing the tradition.

Last night Oliver and Finley were looking for tape and scissors, when they happened upon "Elfie" (our elf-on-the-shelf).
It was completely my fault for no properly putting him away with the Christmas decorations. Finley was just ecstatic that he hadn't really gone back to the North Pole, while Oliver sat silent for a moment and then asked: "He's not real, is he?"
I told him the truth, and then after a quick powwow, Mark and I decided to let it all come out.
We sat them down and revealed the lie as gently as possible. It actually went relatively well. Oliver said he would not be continuing the tradition with his children because "It's kinda like lying to them."
Dammit! My six yr. old had more sense than we did.
Finley wanted to know all the details of how it was pulled off.
Today is day two since the reveal. Finley declared that he "Knows that Santa is real! I saw footprints on the roof" and I overheard Oliver singing "Dashing through the snow in a one horse open there's no Santa" (that's a direct quote).
So, we've urged them not share this news with other children that may not be aware of it, but I can't promise that it won't come out at our next play-date.
You've been warned:)

PS
Mark and I feel LOADS better about coming clean:)


1 comment:

Keegan said...

Yeah . . . we haven't done it either, partly because it feels weird to lie but also because the kids get so many presents from other family members that it felt ridiculous (still does but especially did when we were students) to buy more presents just for that purpose, so we never bothered. Unfortunately, while we've told the kids it's a game some families play and they like it and it's fun for them, Eli is still not at all subtle about it. It's a tricky place to be in. Plus, it really upsets some people, or they think you're totally weird if you don't do it. Oh well, though. Weird doesn't bother me too much.