Sunday, October 30, 2016

In my dreams

When I first started, actively trying, to lose weight, I had a weight goal and a pants size goal. 
I've never been great at maintaining routines, especially when they were pertaining to me. But this has been different. I've been able to make life choices that have stuck (some of them for nearly a year) and I've lost about 60 lbs in the process. 
My pants size is now what it was when I was 16! I never would have shot for that goal. One thing that was really important to me was to get to a point with working out, where I didn't feel like it was an amazing event. Instead, I just wanted to feel like it was a normal part of my week. That has changed my life in ways I'm sure I'll never know. At a recent checkup with my doctor, she said to me "You're a healthy, fit young woman...." I almost cried in her office. 
 I've still got a few goals to reach and I've set a few new ones now that I know what I'm capable of. But if you're struggling with weight loss or creating healthy habbits, press on. Find something that works for you and do it. Do it every day until it becomes second nature then add something new, and repeat. Then, when you fail, for a day, or a week, forget about it. Erase it and go back to where you left off. So much of my de-railing was due to my attitude that if I'd already eaten ____, or I'd skipped a workout every day that week, then I was back to the old me. 'What's the point in trying when I'm this far removed from my progress?'
It's laughable to think about that now. 
Our brains our so powerful, for worse or for better. You just have to find the most effective way to get yours to work for you instead of against you.   

1 comment:

Keegan said...

This is encouraging! I have some weight loss goals (theoretically at least) and I don't struggle so much with exercising regularly right now, but -- oh junk food -- it is the worst! Anyway, that's my demon as far as being fit. But you really have inspired me. You look great and healthy! :)