Monday, February 13, 2012

Oliver's Dental Surgery


Well, the morning finally came. We'd been looking forward to, and dreading this procedure for several months now.
Becky came to watch Finley (since siblings aren't allowed).
We woke a around 5:30, got ready and headed to Children's hospital.
I have actually prayed that we would never need to go to Children's hospital, and here we were getting ready to take Oliver to surgery, minor surgery, but surgery none the less.
I was a wreck, and my husband was calm and collected. It still surprises me when the Lord uses my own spouse to minister to me.
I sincerely hope that no one reading this has to take their children to the hospital for anything, but if you do I highly recommend Children's.
Every staff member greeted Oliver prior to greeting us. They focused a ridiculous amount of energy on making sure he was happy and comfortable, using little games for everything from a thermometer to a bp check.





Oliver was tired, but cheery as we waited for his "valium".
They gave it to him in a drink form and we held him until it started to work.
He got loopy, and silly, and was even giggling right before they took him into the OR.




After what seemed like an eternity he emerged and we were able to see him.
I went in first and, though I was warned, I was shocked to see the size of his lips.




They're not sure what caused it. Maybe an allergic reaction to latex ( found in the rubber mouth piece. After discovering that it contained latex they quickly discarded all of them) or a reaction to the pressure, etc.
Even still, he was happy. We were told several times how well he behaved, and how calmly he reacted to the medication.



Here's a glimpse at his new teeth. I think his lips are still too sore to get a good look.
He had a total of 16 crowns/caps put on.
No, the silver do not contain mercury.
Yes, they were able to do white on the front top teeth.
Yes, he was a little disappointed that he didn't get silver "robot" teeth across the front:)





Daddy gave Oliver the Dragon that he had seen at one of our earlier visits to the hospital.
He was so excited!
He's also eating one of the 4!! popsicles he got to have.




Grabbing a quick picture on our way out of the hospital. What a long day for such a little guy, but he was so brave and good natured about the whole thing. We were very proud.
I'll post a pic of his new teeth asap.
PS
Oliver's lips did return to their normal size by the end of the night:)

No comments: