Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Reflecting...

Do you have a soundtrack for your life? 
Mine is still growing, but there are very definite songs/artists that mark a chunk of my life. 
Today I found my phone shuffling in a song that haven't heard in years. 
Immediately , I was drawn back to a time when I had only two best friends (the same that I'd had since I was a baby) and they were sisters. We would spend hours making up dance routines to music from this group (Out of Eden) or Mariah Carey and singing on my karaoke. 
This time of life is all very magical in my memory. 
It was still relatively simple, and innocent. 
As years passed, Aubrey (the older sister) and I grew apart, but I always had this picture that we'd kind of find our way back to the friendship we had. 
I stayed in touch with her sister, Katie, but Aubrey and I stopped talking.  
Mark and I had gotten engaged a few days before Christmas in 2004. One of the very first people that I wanted to call was Aubrey. I remember thinking that I didn't know how to just pick up the phone and start a conversation with someone I hadn't talked to in a couple years. 
January 2nd 2005, Aubrey was found in a restaurant parking lot, in her parked car. She had died sometime in the early morning on the way back from a drug pickup. A "balloon" filled with cocaine had burst in her stomach. 
I didn't even know she was doing drugs. 
Her death was and still is traumatic to think about. I still have dreams that I stayed involved in her life and am warning her. 
Hearing this song takes me back to those days with her and Katie. She's still frozen, in my mind, at 14. 

1 comment:

melbytoast said...

This story touched me. It would be interesting to be able to step back and see THE WHOLE PICTURE of what happened and didn't happen in our lives according to the small, every day choices we made. Especially if we could do it without guilt or remorse, knowing that God is directing our steps. I was sad to hear about your friend, Aubrey, but at the same time thankful that you didn't get pulled into that lifestyle yourself. So grateful to have you as my sister, Britt (((hugs)))